Pages

Thursday, December 24, 2009

Hair and headbands

I've decided that I want to grow out my hair. It's never been very much longer than my shoulders, simply because I've always found it easier to work with in the mornings. I believe that I've been inspired by Bonnie Wright's Ginny Weasley in the newest Harry Potter movie.

But my hair is at a stage right now where it's just below my shoulders, and doesn't look good in a ponytail. This is where headbands come to rescue! ;D

I especially like this olive lace headband:

I got cream lace [I couldn't find olive green :( ], a brown satin ribbon that is absolutely gorgeous, and some elastic. These make two completely different headbands [or is it hairbands?!]. I got 1m of the cream lace, which is more than enough, and can make two headbands, and 1/2m of the brown satin, which is just about enough. Phew. [cream lace = 0.60c, brown satin = 0.70c, and 2m of elastic = $1.50. Sweet!]

I looked at a couple of blogs and websites, and this is a good guide that I came across at eHOW:

1. Measure the ribbon around your head where you'll be wearing the headband.

2. Mark this length on the ribbon.

3. Cut the ribbon about 4 inches shorter than the marked length.

4. Apply a solution to avoid fraying at the ends [they recommend Fray Check]. {Lightly burning the ends with a candle also works - we used to do this for school all the time}

5. Stitch the end of the ribbon to a piece of elastic. {I'm going to glue it with my super glue - simply because it's extremely strong ... and I can't sew to save my life ;) }

6. Overlap the elastic and the ribbon about 1/2 inch.

7. Check if the headband fits okay.

8. Sew [or if you're like me, glue] the other end of the ribbon to the elastic.

9. Voila! Headband success!

Another - albeit a teensy bit complex - tutorial here. Let me know how it goes!!

No comments: