You will need:
1/2 cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 3 lemons) + 1 tbsp of lemon zest (I added more 'cos I love lemon zest)/
3 eggs, lightly beaten (yup the white and the yolk)/
1 cup of sugar/
1/4 cup butter/
- Melt the butter over a double boiler.
- After the butter is melted, add all the sugar and mix properly with a whisk. Let the sugar granules dissolve.
- Add the eggs and mix it.
- Add the lemon juice, followed by the lemon zest.
- Mix everything, and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, and pour it through a strainer to make sure you don't get bits of curdled egg in your lemon curd!
- Keep it aside and let it cool. It will thicken as it cools.
- Spread it on bread or scones, use it as a pie-filling, or if you're like me, take a spoon and start nibbling! ;)
- With the zest, you don't want the white part. It's bitter.
- I didn't want to lose any of the lemon zest, so I didn't strain the curd. Puny bits of (scrambled) egg wasn't that much of a problem as there were only a couple, which could be easily taken out by a spoon.
- I was just telling mum that this would be a good gift for Secret Santa's!
Ahhh, this recipe by Gordon Ramsay looks especially scrumptious! So tantalising!